Dear ASOR Member,
As you begin packing for ASOR’s 2013 Annual Meeting, we have a few tips and reminders to help you plan for your days (and nights!) in Baltimore. We look forward to seeing you soon at the Sheraton Baltimore City Center.
- Hotel reservations: The hotel is currently full, but we have had success in getting attendees a room off of the waiting list. Please e-mail Britta Abeln or call 617-353-6570 to be put on the waiting list.
- Transportation to the Sheraton Baltimore:
- From BWI Airport:
- Super Shuttle: Approximately $14 each way. You can also get a discount by visiting the ASOR travel discount page.
- Taxi or Sedan Service: Approximately $30-35 each way.
- Light rail: $1.60 one-way from the Airport to Downtown Baltimore. The "University Center - Baltimore Street" stop is a five-minute walk from the hotel.
- From Baltimore Railway Station (2 miles): A taxi is approximately $8 each way.
- From Penn Station (3 miles): A taxi is approximately $10 each way.
- Driving directions: See directions on the hotel website.
- Annual Meeting Schedules: the schedules have been posted online, and we should have a mobile app with more information available by the time of the meeting.
- Getting around Baltimore: The hotel is 2.5 blocks from the Convention Center and short walk to the Harbor Area. Taxis are also readily available on a first-come, first-serve basis at the hotel entrance. We strongly recommend that you use the the Charm City Circulator (CCC). The CCC is an efficient, free public transportation service with several routes that link critical parts of the city. The purple route is located very close to the Sheraton and runs up and down Charles Street, which is lined with restaurants and historic sites.
- Registration: Attendees should pick up their name badge, the Annual Meeting Program and Abstract Book, and canvas tote bag at the registration desk in the foyer of the exhibit hall area:
- Wednesday, Nov. 20th from 5:00pm to 9:00pm
- Thursday, Nov. 21st from 7:30am to 5:00pm
- Friday, Nov. 22nd from 7:30am to 5:00pm
- Saturday, Nov. 23rd from 8:00am to 12:00pm
- Enter the ASOR Raffle: We will once again be giving away free stuff on Saturday. Prizes include free books from ASOR and our exhibitors, a $50 credit to the ASOR store, and other great prizes. There are four ways to be entered in the raffle:
- Check your information (no purchase necessary): On the back of your name badge, please verify your contact information as it appears in ASOR’s database. Just stop by the Help Desk to make a change or to verify that everything is correct. Either way, you'll be entered in the raffle.
- Renew your ASOR membership: Use the $10 ASOR Bucks coupon to save $10 when you renew your membership, and you'll also get another entry in the raffle.
- Register for the 2014 ASOR Annual Meeting: Use the $25 ASOR Bucks coupon to save $25 when you register for next year's annual meeting in San Diego. You will get yet another entry in the raffle!
- Register for the Webinar Series: Use the $10 ASOR Bucks coupon to save $10 when you register for the Friends of ASOR Webinar Series (or single program) and you will get a raffle entry—four ways in total to get raffle entries!
- Special Events
- ASOR Plenary Event: Wednesday, Nov. 20th from 7:00 – 8:15 PM. Prof. C. Brian Rose will present the plenary address: "Cultural Heritage Protection in Zones of Armed Conflict: Lessons Learned and Future Strategies."
- Opening Reception: Wednesday, Nov. 20th from 8:15 – 10:00 PM. Liberty Ballrooms.
- ASOR Members’ Meeting: Thursday, Nov. 21st from 12:45 – 2:00 PM. The Members’ Meeting will take place on the lunch break. Grab & Go lunches will be available for purchase in the hotel restaurant from 12:00 – 1:30 PM. Elections for individual and institutional trustees will take place during the members' meeting.
- Reception at The Johns Hopkins University: Guests will be welcome to visit the new Johns Hopkins Archaeological Museum and enjoy the recently refurbished historic Gilman Hall. Buses will shuttle between the Sheraton's side entrance on Liberty Street (lower level of the south tower adjacent to the Hopkins Room) and Johns Hopkins Gilman Hall, starting at 6:30 PM. The last bus will leave Johns Hopkins Gilman Hall at 9:15 PM. Transportation is not guaranteed.
- Albright Institute Reception / Roast in Honor of Seymour Gitin. Friday, Nov. 22nd from 9:00 – 11:00 PM. Liberty Ballrooms. The program will start at 9:15 PM.
- Projects on Parade Poster Session: Will be on display in International F on Saturday, Nov. 23rd from 12:45 – 2:00 PM.
- Top 10 Things to Do in Baltimore: Check out this list of things to do in Baltimore that was previously featured in News@ASOR.
- DiRT: Be on the Lookout for DiRT (Direct, Random Thanks). As a way of encouraging attendees to visit the exhibitors, attendees who visit the exhibit area during the morning coffee breaks may be selected to receive a small token of our appreciation for attending the Annual Meeting.
- Social Media at the Annual Meeting: ASOR's new Digital Media Specialist, Kaitlynn Anderson, will be taking video of many parts of the Annual Meeting and producing a daily video for ASORtv (our YouTube channel). We will also be updating the Annual Meeting via and Facebook. Be sure to use #ASOR13 to tweet throughout the event.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in hotel lobby: There will be complimentary Wi-Fi in the hotel lobby, but not in the meeting area.
Safe Travels! We look forward to welcoming you to Baltimore in just nine days! Please travel safely. The Annual Meeting will be packed with information, inspiration, and networking opportunities. This is the highlight of the year for all of the ASOR staff, and we are delighted that you will be an integral part of this year's Annual Meeting.
See you in Baltimore!
The ASOR Team